Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Big City J and tales from the Cape

July 12, 2005

Cairns CBD, Australia

7:06pm

On my own and in the big city. It will be a short post because I have a number of things to accomplish tonight. None of which include drinking until my head hits pavement.

Yesterday we stayed at home. Ahhh how nice. Just relaxed and read and played with the Hudder. At 4, I walked with him to the beach down the road and he played in the lowtide river bed. He loves the warm water left over from high tide. I watched and then joined him, slowly not caring anymore about my bowling pin body.

And yes I grew a mustache, which you know or not depending on what order you read the posts.

Today was more interesting. Our last big road trip. We drove to Cape Tribulation. The furthest north you can go on this coast without a 4WD. It is the only place in the world where two world heritage locations meet. The Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree Rainforest. Needless to say the scenery was pretty great. Although it was marred by the myriad of tour groups hustled in and out of locations.

I am seeking adventure and am getting a little restless regarding the sometimes vanilla things we are doing. I understand there are limitations with a three year old, but I am bursting a little. Like a long needle going slowly through a balloon. Steph knows, and can sense my edginess. And I feel bad because some of the serene moments I am ruining with my ill timed barbs and stabs. I am sure it will pass. Steph reminds me that we are going to spend two months in relative isolation come September, so I better start adjusting accordingly.

The best part again today was of course Hud’s confidence in the water.







This time we actually got pictures of it. Us being idiots, we were so excited that Hud agreed to go snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef, we forgot to take any pictures. Not one. Not one in his little wetsuit, not one of him actually putting his head underwater to see the fish, not one of him in all his gear and glory. So I apologize, because it is so firmly etched in my brain I feel that I do not need a picture at all.

Six more days in Cairns and then off to Noosa Heads just outside of Brisbane. Fraser Island is looking unrealistic from a cost point of view, so we are going to see about single day trips out of Noosa. I am disappointed but happy we are being rational.

This post is too boring read the next one.

Love to all,

J.