Friday, October 21, 2005

I yam what I yam

October 22, 2005

Onemana, New Zealand

6:57am

The weather here is awful. Two days of sun in the last two weeks. The rest of the time it’s been rain, torrential rain or just sprinkling but cold, or so windy there is a woman on a bike in the air, stolen dog in her basket.

So what do we all do when it rains? Well in the morning, Steph still goes to her daily play centre and I write. In the afternoons, we all sit across from each other until beads of blood form at our foreheads and we wail out in boredom.

Not really, Steph will do one of the many craft based activities she involves herself with or bake a batch of cookies or muffins to offer as gifts to one of the many houses she gets us invited us to. She is very close to wearing an apron all the time, which of course would be fine with me if that were all she was wearing. The hair bun has yet to be contemplated.

Hello Martha, it’s Jason at the front desk, checkout time at Hotel Steph is now.

Hud will build tall towers or space ships out of Lego, or run in circles around the glass table causing Steph to hold her breath, waiting for the crash or head bang. He will watch movies on the computer curled up in ball with the white comforter. He will do his puzzles and scream I did it! when he is done. I am not sure he even knows it is raining.

Me, on the third hand, do not know what to do with myself. I can’t write if Hud is watching a movie. I am in between books. Or I have books, but I do not feel like diving into them just yet. So I pace, and talk to Steph in short bursts of what I think my perfect life scenario is. Or blather on about my shallowness, or how I see our future. Or talk about my walks, or my novel, or my diet. I must drive her crazy. No wonder she dives into homemaking with same verve she dove into creative directing. And come on, masturbation really shouldn’t be a hobby. My forearm looks like Popeye’s as it is.

Five more days until we get on the road. Things are slowly falling into place. Paperwork is being organized. Accommodation details being gathered. We still have a number of social obligations before leaving, which I hope will offer me some more significant fodder for the journal.

Because this entry sucked.

Love to all,

J.