Friday, September 02, 2005

my new band name...

September 3, 2005

Onemana, New Zealand

6:17pm



So I am starting a diet in two days. Actually we both are but we are doing it separately so if one fails or succeeds, there is no pressure on the other. It’s stupid I know. Not the diet, but the method. The diet is a great idea. A hated, abhorred idea, but a needed break from the culinary extravaganza we have been on up until this point.

If I can lose weight in the next six months, before the trip towards home, then I will feel really good about the second half of my life. And of course we will be rounding into swimsuit season and I need to reign in the thunder thighs and second person that my stomach has become. Oh and a good Brazilian wax to top it all off. I will be shiny and skinny and new.

Can you imagine the look at the wax ladies face if I sauntered in the small room as her next Brazilian wax client? I would whip off the towel and get in the old spread eagle chair, pull my ankles over my head and say “Be gentle darlin, I had mixed bean salad and lots of draught beer for lunch” She would scream and quit. And then of course turn gay.

Today actually felt like a real Saturday. Only because our new fangled routine starts on Monday along with the diet. I woke up early and had another great chat with half of my family. The other half should step up to the plate technology wise. Steph and Hud slept past eight so I made them poached eggs on toast, with grapefruit, apple, plums and two chunks of sharp cheese. I watched as I had eggs yesterday. I then proceeded to finish off what Hudson left, including the retrieved piece of yolk that fell on the floor. It was my Alice impression. Oh Alice. I miss the smell of your breath.

Hud played while Steph and I lollygagged, reading our books, opening all the curtains and windows to let the ocean air fill our neat little house. Immediately Hud is sleeping better, as if he somehow knows there is a break from all the traveling and his bed is now his own. The only problem with rooting ourselves for this two-month period is Hud will once again get very comfortable in his surroundings. I hope pulling him away again will not be too devastating. Especially if he makes friends at the daycare.

Yes, as ironic and strange as it sounds, we are thinking about putting Hud in a daycare for two mornings a week. Or at least one morning a week. He is painfully shy around other kids and the only reason is because he has very little interaction with other kids. He needs a friend, or friends, other than us. We hope we are doing the right thing. Both of us are torn about the scenario of leaving him somewhere. Whangamata seems to be a really solid community and the daycare facility Steph visited was nice and recommended by others we had met in town.

At around 11 we realized we should do at least something today. I was all for just chilling at home, but Steph gets anxious and feels guilty if we are not doing anything. I told her to just chill out, we have been on the road for a month, there is nothing wrong with just hanging around the house and reading, and organizing, and letting Hud play with his new toys. We came to an agreement to pack a lunch and at least go to the playground and the beach for a little picnic. I cried, because I hate picnics and playgrounds and beaches on sunny days with the ocean lapping at our feet and the giggles of small Kiwi children dancing in my ears. I mean, sure this is paradise, but where are the skanky chicks?

After a lovely picnic and drifting off on the large blanket we brought from home, we went into town for more vegetables and a major ATM withdrawal in case we are declined at the teller again. We had our first problem drawing a large sum off our credit card (which we then pay, settle down adults). The donut at the bank just stared blankly at us and said declined. We of course spent 12 bucks on the phone getting a hold of our bank that told us all our accounts (all our accounts, like Warren Buffet we are!) were in order. I think the teller was just lazy and did not call MasterCard to get the authorization number like we have done previously. Sometimes small towns just don’t work the way you want them to. But they do have good produce, so we got that going for us.

Steph made Tikki Masala for dinner and now they are upstairs, Hud in the bath playing with his creatures, a $2 pack of sea animals he loves.

Tonight we will begin what I hope will be a long spirited battle of Scrabble.

Tomorrow is Sunday. I think we will try to relax a little.

Love to all,

J.