Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Me Tarzan, you husband

August 9, 2005

Byron Bay, NSW, Australia

10:27pm

Nothing funny has happened lately. I mean everyday there are new jokes that fly between Steph and I, the most recent being me telling her she looks like a man, Christopher Lambert from Tarzan, The Legend of Greystoke, to be specific. But no large event giving me enough fodder to write about, or at least ponder in the ol’ cranium for a few internal yuks.



It’s odd thinking Hud is almost three. Everything about him is three. His gait, his inappropriate use of mild curse words, his vivid, eclectic imagination. His puffy red face when he was born still looms large though, as does all the little trigger moments that a parent stores away for nostalgia waxing. I will leave that for his actual birthday however, where I will offer tribute to him in my own text-based way.



I am loving the ocean lately. The beaches here are so incredible. I venture out at least once a day to let the waves kick my saggy ass for a spell. There are times when a wave of considerable size will catch me off guard and pin me to the sand. It hits in all directions, the rip pulling me out, the surf pounding me in. I think it’s the weightlessness that I enjoy. It is not often that I feel so light and available to be moved. Steph always keeps an eye on me. As I do her, as she chases our wee boy up the coast.



The last couple of days here felt like we were locals. Markets, Steph’s yoga class, parks with a toddler. Stopping for milk and bread at the smaller, more organic grocery store. Finding faster ways home as the routes become more familiar. Byron Bay has the charm of a coastal town, with contradictory mania of a backpacker stopover and surfing Mecca. We picked the right time to be here, still at least 21 degrees everyday, water still swimable in my opinion, beaches barely occupied. But still with busloads of young punks stopping everyday, where hostel employees wait to lure unsuspecting Irish girls to come stay in their $20 a night bunk beds. The nightlife must be good in town, but I have yet to be in town after eight o’ clock so I wouldn’t know. I did enjoy my quiet pints at the local bar the other day though, even if the waitress was the only person I talked to.



The last couple of days have been better with Hud as well. Our sternness and discipline having taken hold, and he is much more apt to listen to us now, instead of the conscience ignoring he experimented with for a while. I had a great day with him today. We went to the park while Steph was at Yoga, and then walked along the beach, then through town where I bought him a t-shirt and an ice cream. We browsed through all the shops and he only left my side for short little jaunts to look at the more colourful items in each store. Later we picked Steph up and drove home for lunch, another successful leftover of vegetable pasta with a really tasty tomato basil sauce Steph the previous night. After that we drove to Little Watego’s beach, found a little cove, and set up camp. Hud and I went for a walk near the rocks and also near a little photo shoot for Wicked Weasel bikinis, whose perfect motto is:

“Barley covering women since 1994”

I think the bottoms cover the inner labia, but not the outer. Needless to say Hud ignored the ass floss, but I had to look, because sometimes, you just have to look. The model smiled at me, or Hud, so her objectification was not a secret. After which Hud led me into the water, which is a reversal of roles. He asked me to push him into the water over and over again. I acquiesced, getting a kick out of him not committing to swimming, still needing a push. I guess we all need a push now and again.



Later more families showed up, as this is the perfect little beach to let kids wander around. It traps them on either side with rock formations. A natural playpen. With built-in sand to boot! We all watched the sunset and then hustled back to the car. It gets cold fast after the sun disappears behind the mountains. I am outside right now with my Patagonia on and I am still a bit cold.

Tomorrow I have my nice little morning of a good walk to town (about 3km) and then coffee and a bacon and egg roll at the 24-hour café. I will then post and check mails to see how many people responded to Steph’s queries regarding our accommodation in Auckland. Steph takes Hud to a playgroup on Wednesday mornings, so Hud can interact with new toys, while ignoring other kids.



That is it. No smarmy sign off this time either.

Love to all,

J.